Outputs and Results
The main goal of APP4SEA is to improve oil spill response (OSR) preparedness in the NPA region by:
- Pooling competences across the region: partners in Finland, Norway, Iceland and Scotland;
- Upskilling local authorities in charge of oil spill response at sea: transferring best practices and tools;
- Raising awareness in coastal communities: risks associated with increased marine traffic;
- Protecting natural and cultural heritage: marine bird species, livelihood of coastal communities.
Output 1. TRANSNATIONAL POOL OF EXPERTS
- Sharing knowledge on oil behavior on sea, oil spill response methods, experience with tools and models;
- Introducing cutting edge technologies;
- Providing local authorities and general public with access to the knowledge bank.
Output 2. WEBSITE AND APPLICATION
The project will develop an open access, interactive smart map showing:
- Search and rescue centers;
- Weather zones;
- Oil shipping routes;
- Protected natural areas;
- Infographics for education.
Output 3. PROFESSIONAL ACCESS PRODUCTS
- Shared oil weathering database;
- Shared oil spill response model;
- Predictive decision making tool.
In addition, there will be several best practice reports produced on:
- OSR technologies in the Arctic;
- OSR gaps in the NPA region;
- Recommendations to improve OSR infrastructure.